- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries
- 1 pkg (18-¼ oz) red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs ½ c canola oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 can (16 oz) cream cheese frosting
- 1 carton (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 jar (10 oz) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- Cut 22 cherries in half (save remaining cherries for another use). In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Drop by tbsfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Top each with a cherry half. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat frosting and whipped topping until blended; fold in cherries. Spread filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: about 2 dozen