- 200g (7.05 oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6.17 oz) flour
- 50g (1.76 oz) cocoa powder
- 7.5ml (0.25 fluid oz) baking powder
- 2.5ml (0.08 fluid oz) salt
- 1 egg
- 125ml (4.23 fluid oz) milk
- 75ml (2.54 fluid oz) melted butter
- 20ml (0.68 fluid oz) maraschino cherry syrup (the syrup the cherries come in)
- 125ml (4.23 fluid oz) hot water
- 12 maraschino cherries, stem removed
- 5ml (0.17 fluid oz) vanilla extract
- ½ c caster sugar
- 2-3 cups heavy whipping cream
- chocolate shavings, to decorate
- Maraschino cherries, to decorate
Pre-heat the oven to 180°F. Line a muffin-tray with cake cases.
Combine all the dry ingredients together and mix well.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter and cherry syrup.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes until well combined. Slowly add the hot water and mix through.
The batter will be very runny, so don't be alarmed.
Pour the batter into the cake cases (I fill mine about ¾ full) and place into the oven. Place a Maraschino cherry on each cake and push it in slightly.
Bake the cakes for 15-18 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray. Remove them from the tray and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the topping, slowly add the cream to the sugar and vanilla, add more if consistancy is too thick. Stop once you have stiff peaks. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto the cakes.
Decorate with chocolate shavings and a Maraschino cherry.